FOOD DISTRIBUTION INTERNSHIP
The Food Distribution Internship is a position for a dedicated, creative and personable individual to assist with GrowHaus’ Food Distribution programs, as well as help to develop future programs. Food Distribution at the GrowHaus consists of a weekly food box program, a daily market (Mercado de al Lado), and Cosechando Salud, our weekly free food & cooking program for our community. The goal of these programs is to make healthy and culturally-appropriate food accessible to Elyria-Swansea & Globeville residents while supporting local food systems. We believe healthy food is a right, not a privilege!
There are many opportunities to work on our distribution team, either through internal food ordering, creating recipes, guiding volunteers, and being the front-of-house market attendant, where you’ll get to greet and respond to the needs of our community. The most successful team members are flexible, self-driven, creative, resourceful, good listeners, and have great interpersonal skills.
In addition to the responsibilities below, each food distribution intern will have the opportunity to create their own project(s) according to their skills and interests, thus contributing uniquely to The GrowHaus. We’ve had interns do the following amazing projects: set up food box drop off sites around town, create relationships with local farmers and distributors, contribute to re-designing the market, interview community members, source new products, prototype creative marketing strategies, and more. Within this internship, there’s so much room to put your individual talents and passions to use, as well as develop many personal and professional skills.
*Because many community members do not speak English, this internship requires conversational Spanish skills.
Daily Market “Mercado”
- Welcome customers, act as the face of GrowHaus at front entrance, share general GrowHaus information
- Creatively arrange, refresh or create produce displays
- Solicit feedback from community members as to their food needs
- Act as an advocate for food justice through conversations with customers, including Communicate unique sliding scale price structure to ensure all customers are included, making sure nobody leaves hungry, connecting customers with our other resources, etc.
- Compost older produce as necessary
Food Box Program
- Suggest produce for boxes, help Food Distribution Coordinator plan weekly box
- Participate in weekly food sorting on Fridays at 9am
- Help to manage volunteers and direct food box sorting
- Guide volunteers, educate volunteers on GrowHaus mission & how they are contributing
- Maintain standard operating procedures regarding food safety, help volunteers to do the same
- Create or find weekly recipes to include in food boxes
- Research and seek out new ingredient suppliers (organic, local produce and fruit farmers and distributors)
- Assist with weekly placement of orders from suppliers
- Assist with organizing and properly storing all food
- Develop innovative marketing strategies
- Assist Resident Promotora with program promotion within Elyria, Swansea/ Globeville
- Promote food boxes to general public, seek out food box distribution points
- Meet with Food Distribution Coordinator as necessary to discuss tasks and performance
- Assisting with general maintenance and upkeep of GrowHaus common areas (30mins/week)
- Attend special events at GrowHaus or on behalf of GrowHaus
- 6+ month commitment
- 15 hours/week
Required Skills and Experience:
- Conversational in Spanish
- Friendly, respectful, and outgoing with good interpersonal skills
- Interest in healthy eating, cooking, gardening, sustainability etc.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Applicants from diverse backgrounds encouraged
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Experience in grocery, market, CSA, farm operations, food service a plus
- Digital design skills a plus
Quotes from previous Food Distribution Interns:
"While interning at the GrowHaus I gained skills in communication across a range of disciplines, non-profit project management, and Spanish while making lasting friendships and having a blast...I don't think you could ask for more out of an internship."- Kara N.
“My internship at the GrowHaus was super eye opening for me because it introduced me to the concept of urban farming and how important it is to foster community and sustainable development within the food system. This internship also provided me with a lot of passion and a specific direction in my college major.” - Katie K.
Please apply here