MUSHROOM FARM INTERNSHIP
Mushroom Internship Description:
The mushroom farm is a 400 square foot commercial and educational microfarm
in The GrowHaus that cultivates nine types of edible fungi: King Stropharia (S. rugosoannulata), Maitake ( G. frondosa) , Shiitake ( L. edodes) , Resihi ( G. lucidum) , Turkey Tail ( T. versicolor) ,Lions Mane ( H. erinaceus) , and three Hiratake ( P. ostreatus) cultivars. The farm sells the fruits (mushrooms) to local residents, grocery stores, and restaurants throughout town as well as creates nutritional and medicinal mycelial extracts. The farm lab also holds regular workshops on cultivation and fungi ecology, maintains a community liquid culture bank, and continues research and development within local fungal ecologies of soil health, sponsoring projects in soil
remediation/succession throughout the neighborhood. The Mushroom Farm Intern will work alongside the farm manager to oversee the successful operation of cultivation of farm-to-market gourmet mushrooms. The Mushroom Farm Intern will be working side-by-side with volunteers,community residents, and youth on both cultivating edible mushrooms and developing the mycology program at The GrowHaus. The ideal candidate will be interested in mycology, possess creative problemsolving
and critical thinking skills, as well as an interest in increasing
social justice and engineering environmental sustainability through fungi.
- Assist with regular farm maintenance including: media formulations, inoculation, spawn runs, substrate
- Packing, harvest, batching and system monitoring
- Maintain food safety and BAP protocols
- Daily data monitoring, and recording of lab and fruiting chambers
- Assist in development and marketing of the mushroom farm sales strategy
- Completing routine farm scouting/monitoring for any deficiencies or pathogens
- Learn and employ sterile lab technique, microscopy, microbiology
- Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions and correct as necessary
- Assist in keeping farm SOP manual up to date with best practices, maintenance procedures, and contingency plans
- Develop a personal mycological remediation project with assistance of Farm Manager
- Attend special events at, or on behalf of, The GrowHaus
- Four internship positions are available throughout the year; internships run for three to four months at a time
- commitment of five to ten hrs/week.
- Interns are required to volunteer one three-hour shift per week, Monday through Saturday, and attend the weekly meeting held every Sunday. Interns must also attend at least 2 of the weekly meetings per month.
Skills and Requirements :
- Passionate about fungi!
- Strong work ethic with a willingness to learn new skills and information related to mycology.
- Ability to perform repetitive, physical tasks such as chopping straw/drilling wood/cleaning with a positive attitude and high accuracy and replicability
- Ability to perform well under pressure or time sensitive scenarios
- Ability to work unsupervised, trouble shooting basic repairs and when working alone
- Capable interpersonal skills, including working with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds to engage in conversation and education about fungi
- Conversational and Spanish-speaking skills helpful
Please apply here