SERVICE LEARNING INTERN
The GrowHaus Service Learning program engages hundreds of students every year in critical inquiry and volunteer work around food justice and urban agriculture. Our service learning events work with students of all ages and backgrounds, lasting 1.5 hours to a half day with anywhere from 10 to 40 participants.
The Service Learning Intern will work closely with the Service Learning Coordinator to promote, plan, execute and evaluate service learning programming at The GrowHaus and help provide a meaningful experience for program participants. The Service Learning Intern will also help maintain the Growasis educational space by caring for plants, composting, cleaning after workshops, and other necessary tasks.
● Promote the GrowHaus Service Learning program to educational institutions through school visits, phone conversations, and presentations.
● Assist Service Learning Coordinator with responding to service learning inquiries and scheduling workshops
● Help plan age-appropriate curricula based on the GrowHaus service learning guidelines
● Co-facilitate Service Learning workshops in conjunction with GrowHaus staff
● Work with Service Learning Coordinator and Archivist to track data around the service learning program and evaluate its effectiveness on a regular basis
● Maintain plants and compost in Growasis space
● Assist in additional projects related to the educational programs and Growasis space
● Attend special events at GrowHaus or on behalf of GrowHaus
- 4-8 month commitment
- 10-15 hours/week, flexible schedule needed
Skills and Requirements:
● Passion for food justice, urban agriculture, and education
● Applicants from diverse backgrounds encouraged
● Dynamic and energetic public speaker
● Urban farming and/or construction experience a plus
● Ability to adapt teaching style to a variety of ages
● Cultural competency and respect for a diversity of cultures
● Works well in teams
● Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred
Please apply here