Want to build your own system, but don’t know where to start?
Get inspired to grow your own food by building your own aquaponic system and learn what you need to make it a success.
This workshop will help participants understand the key principles and components necessary for growing fish and plants together in a recirculating soil-less system. It is geared toward people who want to build their own aquaponic system but don't know where to begin. We will provide in-depth coverage of the system components and activities necessary to start building an aquaponics system, successfully cycle it and optimize growing. The course will include detailed discussions about:
- Benefits of Aquaponics
- Fish and Plant selection and health
- System cycling, bacteria and the nitrification cycle
- System Design Ratios
- Different system designs: flood and drain, deep water culture, and vertical systems
- Growbed styles, media, pumps, aerators, plumbing fittings and all other components
- Planning your location
- System management and optimization