HYDROPONIC FARM INTERN
The Hydroponic Farm is a 5,000 square foot commercial farm in The GrowHaus that sells leafy greens to local residents and restaurants and grocery stores throughout town. The Hydroponic Farm intern will work with the Hydroponic Farm Managers to oversee the successful operation of this system. The position is physically demanding, requiring repeated lifting, climbing, and crouching. The ideal candidate will be an inspired grower, possessing creative problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, as well as an interest in social justice and working with disenfranchised populations. The Hydroponic Farm Intern will be working side-by-side with volunteers, community residents, and youth, and may be asked to act in a supervisory role towards these groups.
● Assist with regular crop maintenance including seeding, watering, transplanting, harvest and system monitoring
● Help maintain the Integrated Pest Management program
● Maintain the cleanliness of the Hydroponic Farm including growing systems, greenhouse storage, and coolers
● Troubleshoot equipment malfunctions and correct as necessary
● Assist with supervision of volunteers
● Attend special events at The GrowHaus or on behalf of The GrowHaus
Internships run for six months with two options to choose from:
January 7 - July 3, 2019 and June 24 - December 18, 2019.
Shifts are Monday-Wednesday 8:00 am to 2:00 pm depending on farm needs and regular 2 hour weekend farm check shifts will be split among interns.
Volunteer at one GrowHaus wide event
Skills and Requirements:
● Passionate about food production
● Strong work ethic - willingness to do "whatever it takes"
● Ability to perform repetitive and manual tasks such as seeding and cleaning with a positive attitude and high accuracy
● Ability to perform well under pressure
● Ability to work unsupervised, handling basic repairs and troubleshooting when working alone
● Highly responsible, with strong attention to detail
● Capable interpersonal skills, including volunteer management and working with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds
● Conversational Spanish skills highly preferred
If you have a conflict with the schedule outlined above, please still apply for the internship. We are willing to work with scheduling conflicts on a case-by-case basis.
Please apply here