Summer Education Support Intern
The GrowHaus Education Programs engage hundreds of students every year in critical inquiry and volunteer work around food justice and urban agriculture through Service Learning workshops, after school classes, and summer programs.
The GrowHaus summer education programs include Bees in the garden, Seed2Seed, and YMCA classes. These are all experiential education experiences, which include hands on activities and active student engagement. Bees in the garden will be offered every Tuesday and Thursday morning from 9:30am-12:00pm from June 4th - August 1st, and is offered for 3-10 year olds. This program focuses on exploring the senses, creativity, compassion, and mindfulness through experiences with healthy cooking, gardening, and other hands on activities. Seed2Seed is our teen leadership program for high school students offered every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 9:00am-3:00pm from June 10th to August 2nd. Seed2Seed focuses on nutrition, cooking, gardening, community activism, and permaculture. Our YMCA classes are Monday-Friday from 12:45pm-3:15pm and are offered to elementary students. YMCA classes focus on cooking with kids and gardening topics.
The Summer Education Support intern will work closely with the Education Program Coordinator and other program facilitators to promote, plan, execute and evaluate education programming at The GrowHaus and help provide a meaningful experience for program participants. Interns may be involved in some or all of our summer education programs, depending on their schedule. The Summer Education Support Intern will also help maintain the Growasis educational space by caring for plants, composting, cleaning after workshops and classes, and other necessary tasks.
Responsibilities may include:
● Assist with planning, implementation, and clean up of GrowHaus summer programs
● Help plan age-appropriate curricula based on the GrowHaus education guidelines
● Co-facilitate Service Learning workshops and summer programs in conjunction with GrowHaus staff
● Promote The GrowHaus Service Learning program and Summer programs to educational institutions through school visits, phone conversations, and presentations.
● Assist Education Program Coordinator with scheduling workshops
● Work with Education Program Coordinator to track data around the education programs and evaluate their effectiveness on a regular basis
● Assist with coordination of the intern and volunteer programs
●Care for our GrowHaus animals (chickens and bunnies) which consists of feeding and general upkeep
● Represent The GrowHaus by leading tour groups
● Maintain plants and compost in Growasis space
● Assist in additional projects related to the educational programs and Growasis space
● Attend special events at The GrowHaus or on behalf of The GrowHaus
3-6 month commitment, encompassing the entire summer (May to August)
10-15 hours/week, flexible schedule needed
Skills and Requirements:
● Passion for food justice, urban agriculture, and education
● Interest in working with youth
● Applicants from diverse backgrounds encouraged
● Comfortable with public speaking
● Urban farming and/or construction experience a plus
● Cultural competency and respect for a diversity of cultures
● Works well in teams
● Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred
● Motivated to take initiative on tasks
Please apply here